Sunday, February 18, 2007

A Prayer

My Rose

Who art in heaven

Forgive me

Forgive me for the sun

Dancing on the water

Across your rippled reflection

For the sound of wind in leaves and branches

Whispering against the

Cool azure sky

Forgive me for the smell

Of lilacs in spring

And coffee brewing

A winter morn

The silent cadence of snow

A hum in D minor

My Rose

Forgive me for the warmth

Of your cheek on mine

As I teach you to read

Your eyes curious and blue

My blue February rose

Forgive me

For I plucked you in august

You were yet a bud

An unlikely bloom

I never knew

Forgive me

For the sand, the sea

And the wind

For your lost song drifting through an open window

One autumn evening

For the breath

You never knew

My Rose

Who art in heaven

Forgive me

No comments: